UPDATED: Youths Digest shortlists 30 finalists for Campus Journalism Awards 2020
NEWS DIGEST – Youths Digest, the organisers of the annual Campus Journalism Awards, (CJA), is glad to announce names of successful finalists for this year’s edition of the awards.
A total of 266 entries were received from over 50 institutions in the country and the finalists emerged from fourteen tertiary institutions in Nigeria, who cut across 15 categories of the awards.
Begun in 2018, the award is the first campus journalism awards set aside for student journalists in tertiary institutions across Nigeria.
The 15 awards up for grabs at the event include “Upcoming Writer”, “Entertainment Writer”, “Sports Writer”, “Reporter”, “Gender Equality Reporter”, “Broadcaster” and “Photo-journalist”.
Others are: “Penclub”, “Author (Book)”, “Social Media Influencer”, “Investigative Journalist”, “Features Writer”, “Editor”, “Print Magazine”, and “Campus Journalist of the Year”.
This was done after a scrutiny of the entries received by the screening committee.
According to Alfred Olufemi, who headed the committee, the entries were graded based on merit but said some of those categories were very competitive.
“The quality of the entries received shows that journalism in the students’ space has gone beyond what we used to have in the past. Students did excellent reporting, investigations and insightful features.
“The awardees for the Campus Journalism Awards will be announced at Nicon Luxury Hotel, Area 11, Abuja on Saturday 28th March, 2020 by 12pm prompt,” he added.
The Editor of Youths Digest, Gidado Shuaib, noted that the finalists will be provided with accommodation, feeding and stipends for local transport.
He also disclosed that Mr Sunday Dare, Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports will be the keynote speaker for the event while the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu will be the Special Guest of Honour while Comrade Auwal Musa Rafsanjani, Executive Director of Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre will be the Chief Host.
There would also be a launch/presentation of a book edited by Gidado Yushau Shuaib, titled ‘Musings of Young Minds: A collection of articles by campus journalists, forward by Auwal Rafsanjani, Executive Director, CISLAC at the event.
The theme for the 2020 CJA is “Press Freedom: Catalyst for Good Governance”.
Also, at the event, the winner of the fully paid internship at the Nigerian Customs Broadcasting Network (NCBN) will be announced.
The Campus Journalism Awards is hosted with support from the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC)/Transparency International Nigeria.
Below are the finalists and their institutions:
1. Kafilat Taiwo – Moshood Abiola Polytechnic
2. Muhyideen Kolawole – Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto
3. Olufemi Damilola – Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko
4. Abdulhamid Abdullahi Aliyu – Bayero University Kano
5. Yusuf Mutiu Olaitan – University of Ilorin
6 Hassan Abdulsalam – Moshood Abiola Polytechnic
7. Ajala Samuel – Federal University Oye Ekiti
8. Daniel Whyte – Federal University Oye Ekiti
9. Mariam Ileyemi – Lagos State University
10. Victoria Ifeolu – American University of Nigeria
11. Abdulwaheed Sofiullahi – Usmanu Danfodiyo University
12. Owolabi Kuburat – Usmanu Danfodiyo University
13. Abdulhaleem Ishaq Ringim – School of Nursing, ABU Teaching Hospital
14. Uthman Samad – Obafemi Awolowo University
15. Ojurongbe Sodiq – Moshood Abiola Polytechnic
16. Abiodun Jamiu – Usmanu Danfodiyo University
17. Peter Oyebanji – Obafemi Awolowo University
18. Stephen Enoch – Bayero University Kano
19. Qosim Suleiman – Usmanu Danfodiyo University
20. Prince Innocent Federal University Otuoke
21. Muhammad Auwal – Ahmadu Bello University
22. Solomon Oladipupo – University of Lagos
23. Ridhwan Adetutu Abdullahi – University of Ilorin
24. Ikulajolu Adesola – Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko
25. News Digest Press, (UDUS)
26. Mohammed Dahiru Lawal – Bayero Univesity Kano
27. LASUGONG Newspaper (LASU)
28. Adeyinka Ademola – The Polytechnic Ibadan
29. Mohammed Yakubu – IBB University
30. Udeobasi Blessing – University of Nigeria Nsukka
See event flier belo.