13 things you need know about the first female Vice Chancellor of FUTA, Adenike Oladiji
NEWS DIGEST – On Thursday, 12th of May, 2022, the news of Prof (Mrs) Adenike Oladiji appointment as the first female vice chancellor of the Federal University of Technology Akure, Ondo State, went online.
Her appointment as the head of the university followed her approval by the institution’s council at its special meeting presided over by the Chairman, Godsknow Igali.
In a statement signed by the Registrar of the varsity, Richard Arifalo, it reads: “At the end of the interview, the Joint Council and Senate Selection Board recommended three candidates for appointment in line with extant regulations governing the process.
Because of the closeness of the score of the three recommended candidates, a difference of 0.1%, council decided to put it to vote and Professor Oladiji came out tops, hence her appointment.
Under extant laws, appointment of Vice Chancellors of universities is domiciled with the Governing Council of universities which, on the advice of an internal selection committee, has the power to choose from any of the three best candidates submitted to it.
“According to a letter of appointment personally signed by Ambassador (Dr.) Igali, Professor Oladiji’s appointment which takes effect from Tuesday May 24, 2022 is for a single term of five years.”
WHAT YOU NEED KNOW ABOUT HER
1. The newly appointed Vice Chancellor was born on the 27th April, 1968.
2. Her appointment which takes effect from Tuesday May 24, 2022 is for a single term of five years.
3. She succeeds Professor Joseph Fuwape, whose term ends on Monday, 23rd May, 2022.
4. She was one of the 19 competitors examined for the Vice Chancellor’s seat out of the 27 that applied.
5. She had her Nursery and Primary School at Christ Anglican School, Ijomu-Oro, Iludun Oro, Kwara state between 1972 and 1977.
6. She had her secondary education at Claire’s Anglican Grammar School, Offa, Kwara between 1977 and 1982, for her.
7. In 1988, She graduated with a Second Class Upper Division Degree in B.Sc Biochemistry, from the University of Ilorin.
8. In 1991, she had her Doctor of Philosophy MSc. Biochemistry in University of Ilorin, and Degree in Biochemistry from the University of Ilorin, 1997.
9. She joined the services of the University of Ilorin in July 1992 as Assistant Lecturer and was appointed a Professor in September 2011.
10. Adenike Oladiji is a member of professional bodies such as the West Africa Research and Innovation Management (WARIMA), American Society of Nutrition, Organization for Women in Science for Developing World (OSWD), Science Association of Nigeria and Nigerian Society for Experimental Biology.
11. She has researched over 100 publications and has won many distinctions and awards which include University’s Merit Award, Certificate of Merit and scholarships among others.
12. Some of the positions she has held include: Head of Department; Sub Dean of Faculty; Deputy Director, Center for International Education; Director, Center for Research and Development and In-House Training; Director, Central Research Laboratory; Dean, School Of Basic Medical Sciences (Kwara State University); Dean, School of Life Sciences and member, Governing Council, Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa and Crown Hill University, Eiyenkorin, Ilorin.
13. She is a Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science and Fellow, Nigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. She has served as member of various Scientific Committees at the National Universities Commission, NUC, Tertiary Education Fund, TetFund and has been an external examiner in over 20 universities in Nigeria and outside the country.