NRC confirms safety of 14 more passengers onboard attacked Kaduna train
NEWS DIGEST – The number of safely recovered passengers onboard the attacked AK9 train has risen by 14 but 146 passengers remain missing, according to the Nigeria Railway Corporation.
In the NRC’s recent update on the damages incurred from last week terrorist attack on the train, it was revealed that 22 of the 146 missing persons have been declared missing by their relatives.
The AK9 train was traveling to Kaduna from Abuja last Monday when armed men detonated planted explosives to halt the train’s course and abduct passengers.
“Of the 362 validated passengers on board the attacked AK9 train service on March 28, 186 persons on the manifest are confirmed to be safe and at their various homes,” said Mr Fidet Okhiria, Managing Director of the NRC.
Only eight casualties has been confirmed and only 35 persons whose phones currently rings when dialled represent hopes of securing more passengers.
According to Mr Ohkiria, the cell of 60 of the 146 missing persons on the manifest responded with “non-existent” when dialled while the cell of 51 others responded “switched off” or “not reachable.”
The NRC has begun repair works on the track after the train bombing caused extensive damages that may threaten rail saftey.
“More concrete Sleepers were moved to site while some section of twisted tracks has been straightened,” he said.
The commission is yet to resume train transportation along the route after needing to suspend train operations immediately after the attack and there are no indications on when train operations may recommence.
“NRC will continue to update the general public of developments to prevent misleading information and falsehood,” he added.