Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello
Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello

Kogi denies ownership of returned bailout fund, demands apology

NEWS DIGEST – The Kogi Government has denied ownership of the N19.3 billion, allegedly returned to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) by the EFCC.

The state has also threatened legal action, if the EFCC did not within 48 hours, retract the statement that the fund it allegedly returned to the CBN, belonged to Kogi.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday, said it returned the N19. 33 billion Kogi salary bailout funds it recovered, to the CBN.

Spokesperson for the EFCC, Mr Wilson Uwujaren, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja, on Friday.

Addressing newsmen in Lagos on Sunday, Kogi Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mr Kingsley Fanwo, described the commission’s claims as “mischievous, false and politically motivated.”

“Let it be known that the Kogi government has disbursed its bailout loans for the purpose of which it was granted as of October 2019.

“There is therefore no hidden bailout funds/loan’ belonging to Kogi that is capable of being returned to the CBN or frozen by an order of Court.

“The EFCC knows this, which is why it withdrew the suit it filed in Court on the bailout fund,” he said.

The commissioner reiterated that the state does not operate a fixed deposit Sterling Bank account, which had been clarified by the bank in its letter, dated Sept. 1.

“The Kogi government knows absolutely nothing about the ownership and control of the said N19.3 billion, allegedly returned to the CBN.