Gunmen kidnap 60, burn houses in fresh Zamfara attack

NEWS DIGEST – Gunmen have stormed Ruwan Tofa town in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara state, abducting 60 women and children in the area.

It was gathered that the gunmen stormed the town on Wednesday and burned down many houses, cars, shops and destroyed properties worth millions of Naira.

A resident of the town, who spoke with the BBC Hausa service on Thursday, said all other residents had fled the area, adding that almost half of the town was burnt down.

The resident, however, said that no casualties were recorded but that the gunmen had shot one and that he was in the hospital.

“They took away a lot of women and children. There was a man with four wives who all took his wives or one was not left behind. They took a relative of the District Head and his family,” he said.

Another victim also said that about 15 men, women and children had been taken from his house, “and they took 90 bags of grain from me in a car”.

“We asked the security forces twice but they did not come and we dispersed from the town,” he said.

When contacted the spokesperson of the Zamfara State Police Command, Mohammed Shehu, he did not answer the call.

He, instead, sent us a text message, informing us that he was in a meeting and would get back to us as soon as he rounded up.